As you go about your workout program, taking the time to learn the best-muscle building exercises that you can be doing is one of the best ways to point yourself in the right direction. Far too many people go into the gym and aren’t performing their workouts as they should, and this can significantly cut into the results they see.
The right selection of exercises in your program plan will definitely make or break your results so how exactly you’re spending time in the gym is not something to take lightly or overlook.
The best exercises for developing lean muscle mass will also set you up for success by causing a higher testosterone release in the body, which will amplify the muscle-building rates post-workout.
Let’s take a quick look at the top muscle building exercises that you should have in your overall program plan.
- The king of lower body movements, squats can’t be beaten. These will work the quads, hamstrings, glutes, spinal column muscles and your core.
- Lunges are the next standard leg movement and can be done with either a set of dumbbells or a barbell across your back.
- Deadlifts are a great way to boost your glute muscle strength and build a better butt as well. They’re also going to be great for strengthening the lower back muscles.
- Step-ups. Step-ups work all the main muscle groups in the lower body and will also test your balance and agility.
- Bench press. The bench press is a good upper body strengthener and will hit your chest, shoulders, triceps and even your bicep muscles to a small degree.
- Shoulder press. The shoulder press is a fantastic movement for strengthening the primary shoulder joints and keeping your upper body strong.
- Bent-over rows. This exercise is ideal for hitting the back muscles. Think of squeezing your shoulder blades together as you do it to see maximum strength gains in the muscles you are aiming to target.
- Pull-ups. Pull-ups are going to work the lat muscles, the biceps, as well as the core, which always acts to stabilize the body.
- Push-ups. Push-ups are a great chest strengthening movement that will help to work the triceps and biceps at the same time. With so many different variations you can perform, you should never get bored with this exercise.
- Split squats. This is another terrific glute-building move, and since you will be slightly off-balance while you perform it, you will be targeting your core as well.
The Bottom Line:
So there you can see the best muscle building exercises that you should be doing. Remember that you definitely do not want to do these back-to-backs in each and every workout you do, but rather alternate between them over time, swapping some out for others.
This will keep your body guessing as to what’s coming next and ensure that you continue to see the results that you’re looking for from that workout session.